- TabletTree, Inc. and its affiliates (hereinafter, "TabletWise") operates this website (hereinafter, "Site") and the services related to or offered on the Site (hereinafter, the "Service" or “Services”). TabletWise's Services may include, without limitation, tools, applications, email services, bulletin boards, message boards, chat areas, news groups, forums, communities, calendars, downloadable mobile applications, video streaming services, audio streaming services, and online, or offline courses or classes related to the Site or provided through the Site.
- The Policy is applicable to the users who access Site or Services as an authorized library patron. For non-library patrons, please check our general privacy available at https://www.tabletwise.com/info/privacy-policy.
- To be clear about the terminology we are using, when we use the phrase "Personal Information" in this Policy, we mean information that specifically identifies you as an individual, like a person’s full name, address, email address, or phone number. When we use the phrase "Anonymous Information" in this Policy, we mean information that does not specifically identify an individual person, such as a user’s areas of interest, browsing history, demographic information, or a unique identifier (such as a cookie or IP address).
- By visiting this Site or using the Services, you are accepting the policies and practices described in this Policy. Each time you visit the Site or use the Services, you agree and expressly consent to our collection, use, and disclosure of the information that you provide as described in this Policy. If you do not agree to any of these terms, you should not use the Services.
- This Policy applies to all users, including both users who are simply viewing content available via the Services and users who have registered as members of the Site.
- In addition to this general Policy, each Service may have additional privacy provisions that are specific to the particular Service. These supplemental disclosures are made adjacent to the particular Service at the time we collect the information. These supplemental disclosures also govern the use of your information.
- If you are located in the European Union (“EU”), the United Kingdom, Lichtenstein, Norway, or Iceland, you may have additional rights under the EU General Data Protection Regulation (the “GDPR”) with respect to your Personal Data. These rights are outlined in the EU Privacy Notice section.
- “Data Protection Requirements” means the General Data Protection Regulation, Local Data Protection Laws, and any applicable laws, regulations, and other legal requirements relating to (a) privacy, data security, consumer protection, marketing, promotion, and text messaging, email, and other communications; and (b) the use, collection, retention, storage, security, disclosure, transfer, disposal, and other processing of any Personal Data.
The Information We Gather
We collect information about you in the following ways:
- Information You Voluntarily Provide Us
- We collect and maintain information that you voluntarily submit to us during your use of the Site and Services. For example: when you register for a Site, you may provide us with certain information including your name, email address, screen name, password, and demographic information; to engage a Site's social networking function, you may add to your profile (“Profile”) by providing information about your interests.
- You can choose not to provide us with certain information, but this may stop you from gaining access to a Service or limit the features that you can use.
- Any Personal Information or content that you voluntarily disclose in public areas becomes publicly available and can be collected and used by other users for any reason. Your Profile pages and any online classrooms you participate in are publicly available. You may delete content you post publicly. You should exercise caution before disclosing your Personal Information via these or any other public venues.
- For example, if you choose to sign up for an account, you may have a Profile on the site, containing your full name and some basic information including your location and bio. You may also add additional optional information to your Profile. You may control what type of Profile information is shown to others through your Account Settings. Any information you choose to provide as part of your Profile should reflect how much you want other Site users to know about you. We recommend that you guard your anonymity and sensitive information and we encourage members to think carefully about what information about themselves they disclose in their profile pages. You can review and revise Profile information at any time.
- Information We Collect Through Your Use of the Site
- As you use the Site and Services, certain information may also be passively collected. Through cookies, pixels, beacons, log files, your device information, and other technologies, we may collect information about how you use the Site and the Services. For example, we may determine through an IP address that a particular computer or device is located in New York City and we may use this information to deliver more helpful information, programs, and tools. Please see the Cookies section below for more information.
How We Use Your Information
We will use your Personal Information in the ways described below or described at the time that the information is collected.
- To Provide the Site and Services
- In general, we use your Personal Information as necessary or appropriate for purposes including to administer your account; register you and provide you access to the Site or Services; respond to inquiries or requests that you direct to us; fulfill your requests for products or services; send communications and administrative emails about the Sites or Services; personalize and better tailor the features, performance and support of the Sites and Services for your use; send you promotional/marketing information, newsletters, offers or other information regarding opportunities and functionality that we think would be of particular interest to you; improve the quality of the Site and the Services, and analyze, benchmark and conduct research on user data and user interactions with the Site and Services.
- Cookies, Web Beacons, and IP Address Information
How We Disclose Information to Third Parties
We may share your Personal Information with third parties as specifically approved by you or under the circumstances described below. If you do not want us to use or disclose Personal Information collected about you in the ways identified in this Policy, you should not use the Site or Services.
- To your Library
- We may disclose the information that you provide to us, such as your email address, library card number, and Personal Information, as well as the content you have selected, to your library.
- Disclosure for Legal Reasons
- We may disclose and release your Personal Information to third parties: (a) to comply with valid legal requirements such as a law, regulation, search warrant, subpoena or court order; or (b) in special cases, such as a physical threat to you or others, a threat to homeland security, a threat to our system or network, or in any case in which we believe it is reasonably necessary to investigate or prevent harm, fraud, abuse, illegal conduct or a violation or alleged violation of this Policy or other agreement we may have with you.
- Agents and Contractors
- We may provide your Personal Information to service providers who work on our behalf or help us to operate our business, the Site and the Services. Examples of such service providers include vendors and suppliers that provide us with technology, research, and/or marketing assistance; provide services and/or content for sending email and providing customer service. Access to your Personal Information by these service providers is limited to the information reasonably necessary to perform its limited function.
- Anonymous Information
- We may share Anonymous Information about you with third parties for any purpose. Personal Information that has been aggregated with the Personal Information of other users in a way that does not identify you as an individual shall be treated as Anonymous Information.
- Within Our Company; Changes to Our Company
- We may share your Personal Information with any of our subsidiaries, joint ventures, or other companies under common control. Additionally, in the event, we go through a business transition such as a merger, acquisition by another company, the sale of all or a portion of our assets or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, your Personal Information may be among the assets transferred. You acknowledge that such transfers may occur and are permitted by this Policy.
Message Boards and Chats
We may make message boards, chat rooms, and other interactive forums available as part of the Services. You should be aware that any information which you post to these interactive forums or otherwise choose to make publicly available, including your Personal Information, may be disclosed and available to all users who have access to that portion of the Site or Services. By using these interactive forums, you agree that we are not responsible for any information that you disclose or communicate in such forums, and any disclosures you make are at your own risk.
The Site and Services are not directed or intended for children under 13 years of age. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from individuals under 13 years of age. If you are under 13 years of age, you should not register or provide Personal Information on the Site or through the Services. If you are the parent or guardian of a child whom you believe has disclosed Personal Information to us, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we may delete and remove such child's information from our systems.
Updating and Control of Your Personal Information
We offer you choices regarding the collection, use, and sharing of your Personal Information. When you receive promotional communications from us you will have the opportunity to "opt-out" by following the unsubscribe instructions provided in the promotional email or newsletter you receive or by editing your preference to receive these communications within the "Manage My Email" or similar feature on the Site when you are logged in as a registered user. You can update or correct your Personal Information by logging in and clicking on your user name at the top of the Site to access the "Profile" section. If you no longer wish TabletWise to use or share your Personal Information in accordance with this Policy or you no longer desire to use or access this Site, you can also remove your Personal Information from the "Profile" section of the Site. Keep in mind, however, that even if you delete information from your profile, we may retain your Personal Information in conformance with our data retention policy and Personal Information may remain within our databases, access logs, and other records. In addition, we are not responsible for updating or removing your Personal Information contained in the lists or databases of third parties who have been provided information as permitted by this Policy.
In the event that a minor under the age of 18 in California use the Site, the minor may request that TabletWise remove content or information posted by the minor on the Site by sending an email to email@example.com. However, such removal may not remove all traces of such posting everywhere online, since content or information may have been shared by others. Be aware that Site may not have to comply with this removal requirement if: (i) federal or state law requires that we maintain the content or information; (ii) the content was stored or posted (or reposted) by a third party other than the minor contacting Site; (iii) we anonymize the content or information so that the minor cannot be identified; (iv) the minor received compensation or other consideration for providing the content; or (v) the minor does not follow the instructions in this section.
Transfers to the United States
California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits users of the Services who are California residents to request certain information regarding its disclosure of Personal Data to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email with 'California Privacy Rights' in the heading to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Co-Branded Sections of the Sites
The Site may link to websites operated by third parties that we do not control. We do not monitor, control, or endorse the information collection or privacy practices of any third parties. We encourage you to become familiar with the privacy practices of every website you visit and to contact them if you have any questions about their respective privacy policies and practices. This Policy applies solely to information collected by us through the Sites or Services and does not apply to these third party websites. The ability to access information of third parties from the Sites or Services, or links to other websites or locations, is for your convenience only and does not signify our endorsement of such third parties, their products, services, websites, locations or their content.
We place a priority on the security of Personal Information, and we undertake reasonable security measures to help protect the data that resides on our servers. We also use secure server software (SSL) to encrypt the payment information you provide in connection with a financial transaction between you and TabletWise that occurs on the Site. However, no security system is impenetrable. We do not warrant the security of our servers, nor do we warrant that your information, including Personal Information, will be completely secure or not be intercepted while being transmitted over the Internet. TabletWise shall each comply with their respective obligations under all applicable Data Protection Requirements.
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions regarding privacy or this Policy, you may contact us as follows:
We reserve the right to change, modify, add or remove portions of this Policy at any time and without prior notice, and any changes will become effective immediately upon being posted unless we tell you otherwise. Your continued use of the Site or Services after this Policy has been amended shall be deemed to be your continued acceptance of the terms and conditions of the Policy, as amended. We encourage you to bookmark this Web page and review this Policy regularly.
EU Privacy Notice
If you are located in the European Union (“EU”), the United Kingdom, Lichtenstein, Norway, or Iceland, you may have additional rights under the EU General Data Protection Regulation (the “GDPR”) with respect to your Personal Data.
What Personal Data Do We Collect From You?
We collect Personal Data about you when Personal Data about you is automatically collected in connection with your use of our Services or you provide such information directly to us. We may also collect Personal Data about you when third parties such as our service providers or business partners provide us with Personal Data.
Information we collect directly from you: We receive Personal Data directly from you, including but not limited to:
- Any other information you choose to share publicly on Site. This may include anything but not limited to the public part of your Profile or information from an online classroom or forum on the Services.
Information we receive from third-party sources: Some third parties provide us with Personal Data about you, such as the following:
- Account information: If you interact with a third party service when using our Services, the third party service will send us information about you. The information we receive will depend on your account settings and policies with the third party service.
Information we automatically collect when you use our Services: Some Personal Data is collected automatically when you use our Services. This may include:
- IP address and location information
- Device information including identification, web browser information, browsing history, and other log data
- Your activity on the Services and its statistics
- Transaction information
- Cookies and other tracking technologies
How Do We Use Your Personal Data?
We process Personal Data to operate, improve, and personalize our Services. For example, we use Personal Data to:
- Manage user profiles and accounts
- Communicate with you about the Services, process orders, and provide you with support
- Personalize content and Improve Services
- Enforce our Terms of Service
- Provide community features
- Provide Teachers with student lists to help with Services
- Pay Teachers
- Meet contract or legal obligations and to resolve disputes
- Deter and protect against fraudulent, harmful or illegal actions
- Complete corporate transactions
We will only process your Personal Data if we have a lawful basis for doing so. Lawful bases include contractual necessity, consent, and to protect our “legitimate interests” or the legitimate interest of others, as described below.
- Contractual Necessity: We process the following Personal Data as a matter of “contractual necessity”. This means that we need to process the data to perform under our Terms of Service with you, which enables us to provide you with the Services.
- Legitimate Interest: We process the following additional categories of Personal Data when we believe it furthers the legitimate interest of us or third parties.
- IP address and Location information
- Your activity on the Services. This includes usage information and any interaction data
- Consent: We process Personal Data based on the consent you expressly grant to us at the time that we are collecting such data.
- Other Processing Grounds: We may also need to process Personal Data to comply with legal requirements. We may also process Personal Data if it is necessary to protect the interests of any data subjects, or in the public interest.
With Whom and How Do We Share Your Data?
- Payment services
- Fraud prevention providers
- Marketing tools, and Analytics
- Development tools and hosting services
- Staff augmentation and contractors
We also share Personal Data with third party providers when necessary to complete a product or service you have requested. This may include a transaction initiated or authorized by you. These may additionally include:
- Third-party business partners who provide you with Services through the Site
- Other users such as Teachers that you may interact with through the Site
We also share Personal Data when we believe it is necessary to:
- Comply with applicable law
- Respond to valid legal process from government agencies
- Protect us, our business or our users
- To prevent spam
- To prevent unwanted communications
- To investigate and protect against fraud
- To enforce our terms of service
- To maintain the security of our products and services
If you give us consent to do so, we also share information with third parties. In the event that we get acquired by a different entity, you acknowledge that we may transfer your Personal Data to the acquirer. You also acknowledge that the acquirer may continue to use your Personal Data.
Duration to Retain Your Personal Data
We retain some information in a depersonalized or aggregated form but not in a way that would identify you personally. We retain Personal Data for as long as you have an open account with us or as otherwise necessary to provide you Services. We retain Personal Data for a longer duration, if doing so is necessary to comply with legal obligations, to resolve disputes or to collect fees owed, or is otherwise permitted or required by applicable regulations.
What Security Measures Do We Use? We seek to protect Personal Data using appropriate measures based on the type of Personal Data and applicable processing activity.
Personal Data of Children: We do not knowingly collect or solicit Personal Data from anyone under the age of 13.
What Rights Do You Have Regarding Your Personal Data?
Please note that in some circumstances, we may not be able to fully comply with your requests for Personal Data, such as if it is extremely impractical or frivolous, if it jeopardizes the rights of others, or if it is not required by law. In some cases, we may also need you to provide us with additional information, which may include Personal Data, if deemed necessary.
- Right to File Complaint: You have the right to lodge a complaint about Site practices with respect to your Personal Data with the supervisory authority of your country or EU Member State.
- Access: You can request more information about the Personal Data we hold about you and request a copy of such Personal Data. You can ask for a copy of your Personal Data in a machine-readable format. You can also request that we transmit the data to another controller where technically feasible.
- Objection and restriction: You can contact us to let us know that you object to the further use or disclosure of your Personal Data for certain purposes, such as for direct marketing purposes. You can ask us to restrict further processing of your Personal Data.
- Rectification: If you believe that any Personal Data we hold about you is incorrect or incomplete, you can request that we correct or supplement such data. You can also correct some of this information directly by making changes to your Profile.
- Withdrawal of Consent: If we are processing your Personal Data based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Please note, however, that if you exercise this right, you may have to then provide express consent on a case-by-case basis for the use or disclosure of certain of your Personal Data, if such use or disclosure is necessary to enable you to utilize some or all of our Services.
- Erasure: You can request that we erase some or all of your Personal Data from our systems.
Transfers of Personal Data
The Services are hosted and operated in the United States (“U.S.”) through Site and its service providers, and if you do not reside in the U.S., laws in the U.S. may differ from the laws where you reside.
By using the Services, you acknowledge that any Personal Data about you, regardless of whether provided by you or obtained from a third party, is being provided to Site in the U.S. and will be hosted on U.S. servers, and you authorize Site to transfer, store and process your information to and in the U.S., and possibly other countries. You hereby consent to the transfer of your data to the U.S. as set forth herein.
Site is committed to the Principles of the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection and use of Personal Data transferred from the EU. These Principles are:
- Accountability for onward transfer
- Data integrity and purpose limitation
- Recourse, enforcement, and liability with respect to all Personal Data received from within the EU in reliance on the Privacy Shield.
The Privacy Shield Principles require that we remain potentially liable if any third party processing Personal Data on our behalf fails to comply with these Privacy Shield Principles. This is limited to the extent we are not responsible for the event giving rise to any alleged damage.
Site’s compliance with the Privacy Shield is subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission. Please visit https://www.privacyshield.gov/ for more information about the Privacy Shield Program.
You may contact us at email@example.com with any questions or concerns relating to the Privacy Shield. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your Privacy Shield-related complaint from us, or if we have not resolved your complaint, you may also resolve a Privacy Shield-related complaint through JAMS, an alternative dispute resolution provider located in the United States.
You can visit https://www.jamsadr.com/file-an-eu-us-privacy-shield-or-safe-harbor-claim for more information or file a complaint, at no cost to you. Under certain conditions, you may also be entitled to invoke binding arbitration for complaints not resolved by other means.